PRESENT MOMENT


When I start to think about the future, which is anywhere past where I am right now, and all there is to do, or all I have to handle, I start to feel a heavy weight and burden. Everything feels too overwhelming. It is especially difficult when I know I have to deal with someone else and I wonder how am I going to deal with this or that situation with them.

I realized that there is no thought that I can think that is going to help me through any future situation, because it is not here yet. That doesn’t mean I don’t make a plan for tomorrow, if a plan is needed, but after that I am powerless over the rest. Trying to protect myself from tomorrow by thinking about it today does not work for me at all, but I sure used to try!

I am promised His grace to make it through, but the grace I am given is for the now. He is with me forever, one second at a time. He will never leave me or forsake which means when I get to tomorrow He will go through it with me, no matter what comes my way. If my thinking is, but what if this happens, or what if that happens what will I do, that kind of thinking will surely lead me into a bad place inside.

The only thing that can help me is to put anything beyond right now into His hands, get into the moment I am in with Him, and take my thoughts off of the future. There is nothing I can do about tomorrow, but He is with me in the now, so I enjoy Him there.

If I keep my inner focus on Him now, when I get to later then I will have the grace to make it through it at that time. If I try and do it the other way around and make later okay, when it is only now, then I make now into a miserable, tormented mess.

Matthew 6:34 Remember He said, ‘Do not worry about tomorrow.” He wants us to be like the lilies and the birds.

I have been able to accomplish this is by getting my head in the moment and put my attention and affection on Him, in the moment. Rest in Him right now. If I try not to think about tomorrow then it is harder not to. Anything I try not to do just makes it harder not to do it. For example I stop, focus on Him step back into Him and say to myself no matter what, me and the Lord will handle it together one second at a time. Then the only thing I do is to just let go of it, and know that He will meet me when I get there and walk with me through it. And really that is all that we need. He is with us always, even to the end of the age.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REGRETS

FINDING WORTH

BOUNDARIES